Check up at the Vets

Friday 16th February 2007

Today we took Bracken back to the Vet for a follow up consultation. This would be the first time I had been back to the Vets since I dropped her off the morning she had her accident.
We were called in.......
Bracken was pretty quickly looked over, a prod here a prod there. Now was my chance to get as much information from the Vet as possible about where we go from here and how we get her on the road to recovery.

Below is the conversation as I remember it.


  • Q - Will Bracken recover from this?
  • A - Not to sure, as we explained, damage to the radial nerve can result in the complete loss of use of the limb. Sometimes the nerve will regenerate and recover, we would normally see improvements in the sensations and movement to the limb in 3 to 4 weeks if the nerve is to recover. We will know better then, If there is no improvement we will need to consider amputating the limb.
  • Q - Have you seen other dogs recover?
  • A - No, not personally.
  • Q - I have read on the Internet that there are complimentary treatments that can be used to assist the recovery such as Acupuncture, Acupressure and Hydrotherapy etc. Should I take her for this type of treatment?
  • A - Yes, you could, it would all help, after all she is insured but I would check the small print of your policy, sometimes it does not cover this type of treatment.

As if I care about small print I thought to myself, I just want her well

  • Q - Where in the Borders can we get this type of treatment?
  • A - I'm not sure, I'm not from this area but I will make some calls over the weekend and get back to you on Monday.

As we were leaving one of the veterinary nurses who looked after Bracken came out to see her in the reception. She asked how she was and we told her about the consultation we had just had and that we were going to try and get her Acupuncture and Hydrotherapy etc.

I'm glad she spoke to us, according to her a Vet in Kelso does Acupuncture. She is now going to let our Vet know......great.....progress!

No comments:

*** "MY DIARY BLOG" ***

Please note that this is a diary blog. To read my story, please select from the Diary Archive Menu on the left.